THE NEW BLOGS

December 10, 2011

Penawaran Les Bahasa Inggris


FORCE Discovery 2011 ………1,2,3 LIFT OFF!

WE HAVE LIFT OFF!!!
Planet earth and beyond Inquiry launched with squeals, shrieks, yahoo’s and open mouths this week as the students discovered space had come to Kaikoura Suburban School!
Shearwaters is now a black hole full of stars, planets, aliens, rockets and Nasa control station (lots of new Mac computers).
The purpose of our classroom is to really inspire our learning and curiosity for the unknown. Also to question information and its authenticity. We are going to think critically about all the information that we find during our research into planet earth and beyond.
A huge thank you to ITM for donating the black paper to make this all possible!


Leaf Cover – Term 2, 2011

In measurement this term we have been learning about area. With it being autumn we had great fun outside collecting lots of colourful leaves. When we were back in the classroom we each chose a leaf and discussed which leaf covered the most space and which one covered the least space. We then drew the outline of a tree and glued on some leaves.
At the end we gathered together and compared how much leaf space (area) our leaves took up, then we ordered our trees from the one that had the most leaf space to the one that had the least leaf space.

What did I notice?
As you worked I heard you discussing your trees, leaves, who had the biggest and smallest trees and who had the most leaves on their tree. You were using some great maths language. You were using all of the key competencies. You managed yourselves by being organised and focussed on your task. You were participating and contributing by discussing and sharing your observations. You were thinking, using language symbols and text and relating to others as you spoke to the class about your tree and leaf space. Well done, we now have some beautiful autumn trees on display in our classroom.
Our beautiful Autumn trees

Pukeko class experiments with kitchen chemistry.
M
The senior Pukeko class have been learning about proceduaral text.  We have had fun seeing how these are a good text form to learn about kitchen chemistry. These are all the things we have made.
Icecream in a bag,  made glue and cheese from milk, fried green eggs by adding the natural juice of a red cabbage  to the egg white.  The natural juice is an alkaline which changed the egg from white to green.
Over the weekend we have had a hardboiled egg in vinegar.  As vinegar is an acid this reacted  with the calcium carbonate of the egg and it’s shell.  We found that the acid had totally dissolved the shell of the egg and the egg was bouncy.

We have broken into groups to share our own choice of kitchen chemistry.One of the group made  rock candy and that is setting and forming crystals, another group has made  a folding egg, another group is going to make a lemonade volcano and another group made a speedy reaction with coke and mintos.
Kitchen chemistry is a cool way of learning about procedural text.
by Taylor and Hannah H



Katie preparing for the reaction


Library Fantail’s Compound Machines

Library Fantail’s Learning Story
Throughout this term we have been learning about simple machines. We have learnt what they are and how they help people make work easier. We have found out about levers, pulleys, wedges, screws, inclined planes and wheels and axles. We found out that simple machines help people to lift, pull, push, turn, split, cut or join things.
We now know that when two or more simple machines are used, they make a compound machine. Through all of our new learning we have been able to recognise how technology has changed from the past to the present and how much it has made life easier for all people. At the end of our learning about simple machines we had to make a compound machine out of recycled materials.
What was noticed?
I saw children very excited about being able to create a compound machine and the classroom was buzzing with ideas. The children used a bubble map to plan their creation. They drew pictures, wrote down their ideas and recorded what materials they wanted to use.
The time came for the children’s innovative ideas to be made. Our classroom was a hive of activity and everyone was very focused. If an idea didn’t work one way then another way was tried as real technologists do. WOW! Great reflection and problem solving was happening, stop and think, persistence, being organised, respect, communication, aiming for excellence and most of all fun! All of the key competencies were being used: thinking, using language symbols and texts, managing self, relating to others and participating and contributing. It was a fun filled morning. Everyone presented their machine to the class explaining the simple machines they had used to make their compound machine. Awesome work everyone!
Children’s Reflections:
Blake – I used ‘E’ for Excellence in “FORCE” and tried my best. I had a compound machine at the end.
Jack – I think I worked well with others sharing the materials.
Oliver – I used ‘C’ for communication in ‘FORCE’. I used my manners when I needed materials. I talked about my machine and I listened to others.
Rose – I worked well with others, shared materials and ideas and WOW! I had fun.
Bridget – I was ‘O’ for organised in ‘FORCE’ and I got my materials ready for construction.
I managed self.
Samantha – I used ‘R’ for respect in ‘FORCE’ and shared materials. I was careful when the hot glue gun was being used.
Alexander – I focused on making my machine. (Managing self.)
Maia – I was ‘persistent’ right to the end of making my machine. I used ‘stop and think’ to work out how I could use two or more simple machines to make my compound machine.
Seth – I used ‘Habits of Mind’ ‘persistence,’ ‘stop and think’ and ‘new ideas’ to make my compound machine. I was successful.
Timeka – It was a hard challenge. I worked out how I could use nearly all of the simple machines to make my compound machine.
Reuben – I had fun making every part! I got new ideas when I was working on my machine on how to put wheels on it.
Jacob – When something doesn’t work you change it. You use the ‘Habit of Mind’ ‘make it right.’
Our cool compound machines

Terrific Toys Models


Fyffe Force Learners are all very busy creating their terrific toys, each Inquiry class has chosen the toy design that best fits their design brief and they are now busy creating the first model to test and modify. Teachers have managed to convince husbands yet again to bring some expertise to the classroom (Thank you boys!)
Rainbow Roller (model 1)

No comments: